So we thought we'd put together a quick checklist of things you can do yourself with a little bit of research to help you get higher in the search engines (well Google really) and get more traffic / enquires / customers....hope you enjoy it!
- Create and fill out Google accounts (Google +, Google My Business, YouTube etc) along with the main social media sites such as Twitter & Facebook and include a link back to your website - try and include as much information here as possible.
- Make a list of keywords that you would ideally want to rank for. Top tip > you can use Google Keyword Planner by opening up an AdWords account for keyword ideas.
Using Keyword Planner To Find Relevant Keywords
Enter Main keyword and review suggestions
- Now if you are in a compeitive industry it is highly advisable that you check out how 'competitive' the term you want to target is by using my preferred tool which is called 'Market Samurai'. (Paid software with a $1 trial) Once logged in you set up a new keyword, click check SEO competition and wait for the results. As a general rule of thumb, the more green boxes showing the lower the competition. If you are targeting localised keywords (keyword+city / keyword+town) then I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you are in a particularly competitive niche such as a plumber in London. If you get stuck with Market Samurai there are loads of walk through videos on the site to help you.
market samurai seo COMPETITION results - mostly green = easier to rank
- Once you have filtered your keywords down to the ones you want to target you then need to create one piece of content for each of these main keywords. Ideally this needs to be around 750-1000 words of quality content. If you are struggling with this aspect we can help / do it for you.
- Next step is to add pages / categories to your website that you are going to use to target each specific keyword - For example, if you are targeting the keyword 'Dog Trainer North London' you would create a page with this title with the url being a slight variation so something like yourwebsite.com/dog-trainer-london and do the same again with the Meta description being careful not to over optimise.
- Once your pages have been created, drop in the articles that are relevant to each of those pages and try to include images and / or video and be sure to include a strong call to action (Call Us Today / Get In Touch etc)
- It is also advisable to make your target keyword pages directly accessible from your home page and ensure you have a sitemap installed in order for the search engines to crawl you site effectively.
- Congratulations! - Your website is now ready to begin foundation link building. Don't rush this and do not under any circumstances go out and get thousands of links from dodgy link vendors! Safe methods are posting in online directories, publishing a press release for syndication on news sites (we can help with this), create and distribute an info-graphic to online info-graphic directory sites, ask suppliers / friends, customers to link back to you and if you have the time reach out to bloggers and ask for a link back to your content pages.
- Warning - be careful with you anchor text when building links..it is really tempting to build a load of links with your target keywords as the anchor text. For example, if you are wanting to rank for 'Dog Trainer North London' the first thing you would likely think is to build loads of links with this as the clickable link back to your website - DO NOT DO THIS! Save these anchors for high authority links which will come later on. All the suggestions in the previous section should have links like http://www.youwebsite.com | www.yourwebsite.com | Your Company Name | Click Here | Visit Site as opposed to using your main keywords.
- Carrying out the above steps will ensure your website had a good foundation to begin building out higher quality links in the future which ultimately will be a key factor in pushing you up the search results. Another tip is to use a tool called AHREFS to find your competitors links to 'steal' (I mean duplicate). This is a paid took though so not ideal for all..
- Finally, you'll no doubt want to keep a tab on where your website is ranking for your target keywords. I recommend SerpLab to track your keywords. They offer a limited free version with the upgrades costing just $5 a time and I have found the results to be very accurate. You can even add things like Bing / Google Maps / Mobile which is very useful.
Hope you have enjoyed reading this post - we are here to help so if you want to email us click here...